Jose Mourinho: It's not my fault Ryan Giggs left Manchester United

Mourinho was presented as the new Manchester United manager earlier
Mourinho was presented as the new Manchester United manager earlier


JOSE MOURINHO has said at his Manchester United unveiling that he isn't responsible for Ryan Giggs leaving the club.
The former winger departed Old Trafford over the weekend after 29 years as a player and coach there, but Mourinho insisted he isn't to blame for the parting of ways.
Giggs wanted a move away in order to pursue his ambitions of becoming a manager, according to the former Chelsea boss.
"It is not my responsibility that Ryan is not in the club," said Mourinho.Herald Scotland: Jose Mourinho at helm as England beat the world in Soccer Aid match
"The job Ryan wanted is the job the club decided to give me. It is not my fault. Ryan wanted to be Man United manager and the the club, for reasons only the owners, Mr Woodward, the board can tell you, decided the job was for me.
"From this moment Ryan wants to be a manager, like in 2000 when I decided I wanted to be a manager. For many of us we start as assistant coaches and then arrives the moment where we make a decision. Ryan made his decision.
"When you say did I offer him a job, could he be my assistant - he could be what he wanted in the club. The club wanted to give him any important job in the club. But he made his decision, a decision where he needed to be brave.
"Good luck, and if one day he wants to come back while I am here, I will never stop him coming back. I will always say yes if the club asks my opinion.
"If one day the club offers him the chance to become manager, I think it will be something natural and the consequence of his success in his managerial career."Herald Scotland: Ryan Giggs is leaving Manchester United
The former Porto, Inter and Real Madrid boss also revealed that he has no intention of playing United captain Wayne Rooney in central midfield.
The England skipper dropped into a deeper role under Louis van Gaal last season and Mourinho thinks that although he might be deployed in a slightly deeper position, he'll never be suited to the centre of the park.
 "Players change during the years," he said. "It is normal that a player at this age changes a little bit.
"But there is something that will never change, which is the natural appetite to put the ball in the net.
"So maybe he is not a striker any more, maybe not a number nine any more, but with me he will never be a number six. He will never be someone playing 50 metres away from the goal.
"Yes, his passes are amazing but my passes are also amazing with no pressure. To put the ball in the net is the most difficult thing to find so, for me, he will be a number nine, a 10, a nine-and-a-half - but not a six, not even an eight."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Related Posts Display