Claude Makekele: Zidane is not the best player I’ve ever played with

052949SP

Former Chelsea midfielder Claude Makelele has revealed that Ivan Helguera, not Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane is the best he ever played with.
The Frenchman was one of greatest players of his generation, so much so that the position just in front of the back four has been named after him, and he won league titles in England, Spain, France and also the Champions League.
 Makelele played alongside the likes of Zidane at Madrid but when asked by UEFA.com as to who is the best player he ever played with, the response was somewhat of a surprise.
He responded: “I’m not going to say Zidane, because he’s my friend and I’m always talking about him!

I’m going to say Iván Helguera who played in midfield with me at Madrid. We had a great chemistry; we’d train together, we’d eat together. He knew where I’d move on the pitch, I’d know when he was going to push up and try and score.
“We didn’t even need to talk, just a look was enough to know what the other was going to do.”
The pair were apart of the Madrid squad that were crowned La Liga champions in 2001 & 2003 and also the Champions League in 2002.
 
After leaving Los Blancos in the summer of 2003, Makelele joined the Blues and played a key role in their back-to-back Premier League title winning squads in the 2004/05 and 2005/06 campaigns.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Related Posts Display